Monday, October 01, 2012

Trust destroyed!

Posted by NuiN at 11:13 PM

Few days ago I already made the preparation for it. People says, you need to have a good knowledge in doing something, so I occupied myself with all the required knowledge.. The fastest and cheapest teacher I can get, mr. Google! Ok, follow what teacher said. Find the best website that will teach me what I need to know...

Ok, found it!!
culinaryarts.about.com
Coolness.. How I arrived to this website? Yea, I google, "How to cook a steak".. This will be my first time EVER cooking a steak.

Teacher said, find a good part of meat (in my mind.. Wagyu! Tak nak kalah ni). Teacher said the marinate ingredient no need to be so fancy. Just ground black pepper and KOSHER salt. Ok.. What the hell is KOSHER salt. I cannot verbally ask my teacher coz mr. Google didn't speak back to me. Suddenly I remember Cold Storage.. Most of the imported cooking ingredient can be bought from there.. Ok, decided! I will go to Cold Storage.

Friday I went to Cold Storage. Berangan nak beli Wagyu. I was thinking if I spent RM70-90 for wagyu beef it will still be worth it, eating at Las Vacas cost me RM150, and the way they cook it look so simple but tasty. So, i'm sure I can cook like them as well, at a cheaper cost!

Unfortunately, there's no wagyu at Cold Storage (after this, it's a fortunate actually). I remember seeing one at Jaya Grocer, Empire Mall dulu. Tak pe lah, find the next best that they have. Rib Eye! Actually I knew nothing about beef parts coz I'm not a big fan of beef, but I remember people always mentioned 'sirloin', 'rib eye'...so I have to choose between sirloin and rib eye.. Hmm, rib eye cost a bit high than sirloin, so i think rib eye must be tastier than sirloin. Ok, buy rib eye. This is my first self made steak, so everything must be perfect! Thinking of having mash potato and black pepper gravy, ask teacher again (mr. Google), ughh what teacher shows looks like a bit leceh to prepare. Finally I queued at the cashier counter, with a basket full of stuff, including ready made black pepper gravy and mash potato (just add hot water).. And salt!

Oh ya, forgot to tell about the KOSHER salt, the main character in this story. I was going round and round the Cold Storage, trying to find the KOSHER salt, when me in the first place was absolutely clueless about what the hell is KOSHER salt! In the end give up cause tak nampak lansung rupa KOSHER salt kat situ, I google (again!).. KOSHER salt in Malaysia.. Hehe.. All kind of salt strories came out on my phone screen, Himalaya Pink salt la, Rock Salt la.. Eh, tak pernah lagi in my life standing so long at the salt area!! That's the first time!! And I came across this website (cannot recall the name), where this person said, "Kosher salt tu sama lah dengan garam kasar kat Malaysia".. Huh!! Cakap la garam kasar!!!


Ini KOSHER salt

Cut the story short, dah dapat semua ingredient (plus Coarse Salt cap Burung Layang-Layang to replace the KOSHER salt), I went back, happily. The thing with this KOSHER salt is that, according to the culinaryart.about.com, i need to use it GENEROUSLY masa nak marinate daging tu. Dia kata the common mistakes that home cooks make is undersalting the steak. So, kalau marinate dengan KOSHER salt kena letak banyak2. If you use table salt then just letak half of the portion for KOSHER salt. So, me, believing that the COARSE SALT (garam kasar) and KOSHER SALT ARE THE SAME, dengan murah hati nya menabur garam kasar ke atas daging steak tu, and perap for 2 days.. Yea, u heard me right, perap dgn garam yang banyak for 2 days..

Tonight, after balik keja, I was so tak sabar to cook my steak. Keluarkan dari fridge, left it for 30 minutes, press the ground black pepper onto the meat (another stupidity, now when I think about it, I think the website actually expect people to still grind the pepper before put it on the meat), brush some butter, olive oil.. Heat the pan, put the meat.. And started imagine that my steak will taste like Las Vacas' steak.

Siap masak, angkat.. And sediakan black pepper gravy and mash potato, sekejap je coz just add in hot water! Btw, I don't have the steak picture, punya lah tak sabar nak makan..

First cut, a bit frustrated coz the steak was well done.. Haihh.. I want it medium well. Tak pe lah, take a bite first..

Pfffttttt!!!!

It was TOO SALTY!!! TOO TOO SALTY!!! AIR LAUT PUNYA MASIN NIH!!

I'm so speechless that time. And clueless jugak tak tau nak buat apa. Nasib baik I just cook one piece. I still got another piece in the fridge..but marinated as well.

Aghhh,...stupid google!! Coarse salt is not KOSHER salt ok!! Not!

Finally, I wash the piece that haven't been cooked (really really wash) and marinate it again with honey.. And the one that I have cooked, I boiled it with water and apple cider, and then rinse it. Still salty but boleh la telan.. Huhuuu.. Dari nak makan steak jadi makan daging rebus..

I hope the one that I 're-marinate' with honey will turn better when I cook it later (maybe another 2, 3 days). Well, it better be good cause I think this will be THE LAST time I cook steak.. Don't even bother to try anymore!

Moral of the story, don't simply trust Google!!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

 

~ Live My Own Life ~ Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review